- 7 days : DVDs, magazines
- 3 weeks : all other materials
- 6 week “vacation loan” is available for most 3 week items
The library may restrict the loan period of any material if it is new or needed for a special collection or display.
The overdue charge is 10¢ per day per item with a $5 maximum per item. There is a grace period of 3 days for all items. After 3 days the fine is calculated from the original due date. An outside book drop is available for return of material 24 hours a day. Lost or damaged material is billed at the library’s cost plus a $5.00 processing fee.
- Audiobooks – no limit
- Books – no limit
- Compact Discs – 20 titles
- Magazines – 6 issues of one title, no limit for number of titles
- Puzzles – no limit
- DVDs – 20 titles
- Maximum number of items checked out is limited to 100
Hales Corners-owned items may be renewed if nobody is waiting for them. Most materials may be renewed two times.
Renewals may be done in person, online, and over the phone.
- In person:
- Bring items to be renewed with you into the library. Staff members at the circulation desk assist you in renewing items.
- By telephone: (277-0183)
- Have your library card and items to be renewed available when you call.
- There are four incoming lines for the purpose of telephone renewal. If you get a busy signal, try again in a few minutes. In order to use phone self-renewal, you must have a touch-tone phone and have your library card barcode number.
- Online: (www.mcfls.org)
- Click on “CountyCat”
- Log on using your library card barcode number and PIN
- Click on “Items currently checked out”
- Click on the “Renew” box in front of each item you wish to renew
- Click on the “Renew Selected” box
- Check if renewal was successful by viewing the “Status” column
Permission to Pick Up Holds
Library cards are for a patron’s personal use only. Normally, patrons who place library items on hold must pick up the held materials themselves. However, specific permission can be granted to make arrangements for another person to pick up materials on hold using a Permission to pick up holds form. The permission slip must be filled out and presented by the cardholder in person and will be kept on file at the library.