- Milwaukee County Residents
A card is available free of charge to any Milwaukee County resident. Register online (www.mcfls.org/selfreg). Then bring two forms of identification to the library to complete your registration and receive your card. The applicant needs two forms of identification with name and current home address. Children age 15 and under need a parent with proper ID to sign for them. The library card may be used at any public library in Milwaukee County, but only by the person to whom it was issued. Any change in address, name, or telephone number should be reported immediately. A $2 fee is charged for replacement of a lost library card.
- Out-of-County residents
A library card for use at the Hales Corners Library is available to individuals and families living outside of Milwaukee County. There is an annual fee of $100 for this card, which can be used by the entire family of the cardholder. The card may be used only at the Hales Corners Library and only for materials owned by the Hales Corners Library.
- Business Owners
A business card is available to anyone owning a business in the Village of Hales Corners. Materials which may be checked out on the card are limited to items related directly to the cardholder’s business. If the Hales Corners Library has no materials relevant to the business, the card may be used at the Central Library in Downtown Milwaukee. There is no charge for this card.
- Schools / Nursing Homes / Day Care Centers
Cards are available for schools, nursing homes, and day care centers located in the Village of Hales Corners. The card may be used only at the Hales Corners Library and only for materials owned by the Hales Corners Library. There is no charge for this card.
- 7 days : new adult fiction, DVDs, magazines
- 3 weeks : all other materials
- 6 week “vacation loan” is available for most 3 week items
The library may restrict the loan period of any material if it is new or needed for a special collection or display.
The overdue charge is 10¢ per day per item with a $5 maximum per item. There is a grace period of 3 days for all items. After 3 days the fine is calculated from the original due date. An outside book drop is available for return of material 24 hours a day. Lost or damaged material is billed at the library’s cost plus a $5.00 processing fee.
- Audiobooks – no limit
- Books – no limit
- Compact Discs – 20 titles
- Magazines – 6 issues of one title, no limit for number of titles
- Puzzles – no limit
- DVDs – 20 titles
- Maximum number of items checked out is limited to 100
Hales Corners-owned items may be renewed if nobody is waiting for them. Most materials may be renewed two times. DVDs are not renewable.
Renewals may be done in person, online, and over the phone.
- In person:
- Bring items to be renewed with you into the library. Staff members at the circulation desk assist you in renewing items.
- By telephone: (277-0183)
- Have your library card and items to be renewed available when you call.
- There are four incoming lines for the purpose of telephone renewal. If you get a busy signal, try again in a few minutes. In order to use phone self-renewal, you must have a touch-tone phone and have your library card barcode number.
- Online: (www.mcfls.org)
- Click on “CountyCat”
- Log on using your library card barcode number and PIN
- Click on “Items currently checked out”
- Click on the “Renew” box in front of each item you wish to renew
- Click on the “Renew Selected” box
- Check if renewal was successful by viewing the “Status” column
Permission to Pick Up Holds
Library cards are for a patron’s personal use only. Normally, patrons who place library items on hold must pick up the held materials themselves. However, specific permission can be granted to make arrangements for another person to pick up materials on hold using a Permission to pick up holds form. The permission slip must be filled out and presented by the cardholder in person and will be kept on file at the library.