Friends of the Library
We always need more Friends.
Get involved — have fun and help your library!
A vibrant and active Friends of the Library supports with resources programs that meet the needs of diverse populations in a friendly, accessible and modern facility.
Friends of the Hales Corners Public Library Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization, with an IRS ruling year of 1998, and donations are tax-deductible.
- “The Tastes of Hales Corners” wine & beer tasting
- Annual Used Book Sale
- Ice Cream Social at the Summer Reading Programs Kickoff Party
- Sale of Book Bags at the Library’s Check Out Desk
- Sale of snacks and sodas at the Summer Friday Flicks, Wednesday afternoon films, “No-School” films, and other family films during the school year
Annual Used Book Sale
All funds raised support the Library’s Summer Programs and Reading Clubs.
Donations: The library is accepting small donations at this time. The library appreciates receiving your donations of clean, undamaged, “gently used” books, videos, audio books, music CDs, puzzles and children’s board books which are offered for sale at the annual used book sale. Pick up a list at the library of items accepted. Donations are accepted year round. Receipt for tax-purposes provided.
Friends of the Library Projects and Support
- Hales Corners Library On the Go! – Edgerton Elementary Summer Family Nights, National Night Out, Whitnall School District Block Party (Started in 2016)
- Annual Summer Reading Programs: Pre-School StoryCrafts, Teen Tuesdays, Wide-Awake Wednesdays, Thursday U-Build-It Programs, Friday Flicks
- Annual Summer Reading Clubs: the “Read to Me” Club for beginning readers, clubs for all school-age children, and the Grownups Club
- Annual Book Squad Volunteers: support, T-shirts, snacks, Pizza Lunches
- Annual August-in-the-Park Programs: Family Sky Gazing, Mr. Pickles Sing-a-long
- Annual Used Book Sale – held in April
- Annual Village Tree Lighting – first Saturday in December
- Annual Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss – Read Across America program – held as close to Dr. Seuss’s birthday as possible
- Child’s First Library Card Program (Started in 2004) – for individuals as well as for students in area schools
- Homebound Delivery Service (Started in 2000) – volunteers who deliver (for free) library material to Hales Corners residents living in their home or apartment
- Public Performance License (an annual subscription) so that the library can show first-run movies for children, adults, and families
- The BookPage, a monthly book review newspaper, that is available for free in the library’s lobby (an annual subscription)
- Ongoing supplies for the library’s aquarium and Dash, the library turtle
- Collection development projects that help the library try out new formats or enhance the library’s collection
- Partner with the Village of Hales Corners, Hales Corners Chamber of Commerce, Hales Corners Lions Club, Whitnall Park Rotary Club, and Richard E. Skogg Memorial Fund towards conducting an architectural and engineering study of the proposed Library and Hunt Center renovations and expansions project (2016, 2019-2020)
- WiFi Work Area: Added in the main library (2018)
- Public Restrooms & Baby Changing Tables: Install baby changing tables and paint four public restrooms (2018)
- Programs: Memory Cafe – a social gathering for those living with early-stage memory loss and their care partners (started in 2016), LEGO Club (started in 2015), What’s it Worth? with Mark Moran, De-Clutter Coach, Quilting Through the Years, K’NEX Bridge in the Library, I can Draw Cartoons, I can Make a Comic Book, Manga Drawing, Community Puzzle Table
- Toddler Play Group – new toys
- Landscape projects: north side of the library and median strip (2015)
- Outdoor signs (2014 & 2015)
- Fresh paint for the library (2013)
- Major sponsor to add management software on the library’s public-use computers (2011)
- Major sponsor, along with the Holz Family Foundation, Hales Corners Historical Society, Hales Corners Lions Club, West Side Soldiers Aid Society, and Hawthorn Garden Club, of the upgrade to the audiovisual system in the Hunt Room (2010)
- Major sponsor, along with the Holz Family Foundation, of the lighted outdoor OPEN library sign (2009)
- Major sponsor, along with the Hales Corners Veterinary Clinic, of the habitat for Dash, the library turtle (2009)
- Major sponsor to ad free, fast WiFi to the library (2004)
Joining the Friends
The membership year is January 1 to December 31. Dues and contributions are tax-deductible. Membership forms are available at the library.
- $8 – Student (18 years or under) / Senior (60 years or over)
- $15 – Individual
- $25 – Family
- $50 – Patron / Business
- $100 or more – Sponsor
- Additional donations of any amount are gladly accepted.
Friends of the Hales Corners Library
5885 South 116th Street
Hales Corners, WI 53130
- President – vacant
- Vice President – vacant
- Treasurer – Jim Motz
- Secretary – Janet Kundinger
- Past President – vacant
- Director-at-large – vacant
- Director-at-large – Martha Riel
Board of Directors – Standing Committees:
- Homebound Service – Julie Berquist
- Membership – Marcia Marino
Ex officio positions:
- Library Director – Stephanie Lewin-Lane
- Library Board Liaison – vacant